Saturday, January 9, 2010

365/2


I have to admit that I couldn't stop thinking about this project for most of last night. I was up nearly all night, so I had plenty to think about. I felt excited about art again for the first time in a very long time, for that I am already thankful for this project.

Only time will tell how long I will stay interested in my subject matter and I am very excited about the prospect of putting the drawings side by side to do a final once over and critique next year.

I chose to work on a larger paper today that was already toned. I chose a light blue 9"x12" charcoal paper. It seemed to work well for today's task. I changed the position of my hand and chose an open palm up pose.

I spent a few minutes looking at my hand and then started blocking in some basic lines. I had to stop and start several times throughout the day, there were many interruptions, including a sick Ms.V. Despite the day's challenges I still managed to finish and was happy with the result.

I enjoyed the challenge of the foreshortened fingers. It gave me some good practice at looking. I don't think I looked hard enough when I was working on the contour of the thumb and palm below the thumb. It doesn't have a very effective fleshyness. That is something for me to consider in the future.

I do think today's overall line quality is much more interesting than yesterday. I spent extra time at the end working in some thicker darker lines, making a few things pop out more. It did give some greater sense of depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment